The category comprises materials for kindergarten and pre-school or similar institutions like Infant Classes or Børnehaver or Niplaggeio or Dječji vrtić.
- Children who attend these institutions are typically between 0 - 6 years old.
- However, in some countries, children attend these institutions until they are 7. This is the case for example in Bulgaria (Detska gradina), Estonia (Koolieelne lasteasutus), Latvia and Lithuania, Finland and Sweden.
CATEGORY 2: Primary and lower secondary education
The category comprises primary education, the first years in single structure education and in some cases lower secondary education. This category refers typically to the first 6 years of compulsory full-time education and is for pupils between the ages of 6/7 - 11/12.
- In Germany this would be Grundschule and the first 2 years of Gymnasium.
- In Turkey, similarly Ilkokul and the first 2 years of Ortaokul.
- In Spain, this would be Educación Primaria.
- In France this would be École élémentaire and the first year of Collège.
- In some countries, where compulsory education starts earlier like in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, this category is for the first years of Osnovna skola or similar institutions.
- In England and Wales, the category would be adequate for materials from the second year of primary onwards.
- In Hungary this category would be for the first years of Általános Iskola.
CATEGORY 3: Secondary education (including secondary vocational education)
The category comprises secondary and single structure education for 12/13 - 16/17 year olds.
- It typically covers the last years of compulsory secondary education and includes vocational training if this falls into the age category, like the Centre de formation d'apprentis in France or the Istitutio tecnico in Italy.
- In countries where full-time compulsory education ends at the age of 14 (Croatia) or 15 (e.g. Czech Republic, Greece, Cyprus, Austria, Poland, Slovenia, etc) materials for 16-17 year olds (at e.g. Gimnázium, Menntaskóli, Liceum, Oberstufenrealgymnasium) should still be entered in this category.
CATEGORY 4: Post-secondary education (including tertiary education)
The category comprises post-secondary and tertiary education for students from the ages of 17/18.
- This may include all kinds of materials for state and private institutions and for self study.
- The materials could be for the last years of Liceo as well as for Konservatórium or MBO Basisberopepsopleiding.
- If materials cover less or more than an academic year, this should be clearly stated.
- If materials fall between category 3 and 4, it is advisable to contact the chairman for advice on the appropriate category.
Every year, the jury awards a special prize (formerly known as MeritAward) to one product from any of the four categories.
- This product should demonstrate an innovative and creative teaching and learning approach.
- In 2017, the jury will pay special attention to all materials that deal with the issues of second language acquisition or literacy or diversity and inclusion.